Strange spikes in my OR Route project

Use this forum if you need help using TSRE.
VAPOR3D
Hello! I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. If it's not, I'm sorry.

In my Route project, some strange spikes appear in OR. They only show up in the OR simulator itself, in the Train Simulator Route Editor or in TSRE they don't show up. Here's a picture of what they look like:
Open Rails 2020-08-12 01-02-57.jpg
Open Rails 2020-08-12 01-02-57.jpg (216.02 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
The terrain elevation data belongs to version 4, you can download it here: http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/download

You can't find Blackart anymore either, but I don't think it will solve anything.

If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this, I'd appreciate it, because I've tried everything without it being solved.

Thanks!

Kapitaen13
Hello,
how was the terrain created? Demex or TSRE5, these two types are not compatible, ok ,this is not your problem.

I use the altitude data from here with TSRE5. http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/Coverage ... s_org3.htm

Garry
Open your route in TSRE and navigate to the position you took the spiky image from.
Make sure that you are looking towards the spikes.
Now just move forward in TSRE, you may have to go some distance, until you come either to a spike, or to the last of the tiles.

If you have not found the spikes, return to the start position and repeat the process in Distant Terrain mode (Settings/Terrain Editing/Distant Terrain)

When you have found a spike an easy way to remove it is to place a 100m track or road piece beside it, rotate the piece until it is mostly inside the spike, then press F to level the terrain to track. You may have to repeat this from different positions.

I have found this problem mainly in mountainous regions, I think the satellite gets confused if the valley disappears behind a mountain top.

Hope this helps
Garry

VAPOR3D
Kapitaen13 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 06:39 Hello,
how was the terrain created? Demex or TSRE5, these two types are not compatible, ok ,this is not your problem.

I use the altitude data from here with TSRE5. http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/Coverage ... s_org3.htm

Hi!

The .htg files come exactly from there.

The problem is that the "spikes" do not appear in RE or TSRE, but are shown in OR.

Thank you all for your help, but I still have the problem.

Garry
Can you tell me the following:

1. The latitude and longitude of the location of your images
2. The direction you are looking.
3. The viewing distance you are using in Open Rails (you will find this in "Options/Video")
4. Is Distant Mountains ticked? and if so what is the distance setting.

Garry

VAPOR3D
Hello!

I tried a simple thing in OR. Disable the Distant Mountains, so the spikes disappear.

This means that the problem is in the Distant Mountains, which were built at the time with DEMEX.

It could even be that the .hgt file with which the Distant Mountains were made did not work well.

Is there any other method to create them, for example using TSRE?

Thank you!

Garry
Hi Vapor3d

I have had similar spikes in my Swiss route. I have successfully eliminated them.

If you give me the information I asked for in my previous post, I will make myself a route at this location.
Then I will find out where the spikes in the .hgt data are located.
Then I will tell you again how to get rid of them.

Garry

VAPOR3D
Garry wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 14:37 Hi Vapor3d

I have had similar spikes in my Swiss route. I have successfully eliminated them.

If you give me the information I asked for in my previous post, I will make myself a route at this location.
Then I will find out where the spikes in the .hgt data are located.
Then I will tell you again how to get rid of them.

Garry
Thanks Garry! :) :) :)

There are two of them:

N42E001.hgt

N42E002.hgt

It is a very mountainous area on the border between Catalonia and France, the route is that of the Nùria Rack Train.

Garry
Ok I have got that. Just had a quick look in Google Earth and it looks really interesting, I entered "Vall de Núria" in the search and can see that some of the buildings there have been modelled already. I always find that I look at these then make my own version.

Can you tell me the location of your picture showing the spikes, latitude and longitude, and the direction you are looking.

I will try to have a look at it later today.

Garry

Garry
Sorry I was wrong about buildings already modelled, strange setting on my Google Earth.

I have got the terrain in a route from Ribes de Freser to Nuria, but have not yet found the spikes.

I need to know location of picture and direction.

Garry